The Best Christmas Gift For Your Youth Group
Jesus. The answer is always Jesus. You should know that by now!
Well, maybe the answer isn’t that simple.
Christmas is in full swing! Trees are being decorated, carols are being carol-ed, travel arrangements are being made, and storefronts are packed! It’s the most wonderful time of the year and we love it! We can all agree that people are just joyful and giving this time of year.
With all this Christmas joy being thrown around, I began thinking about how I might be able to bring this attitude of giving into our youth ministry. I began to ask, “What’s the best gift for our youth ministry this Christmas?” After thinking this over for a while, I’ve come to the shocking realization that maybe the answer isn’t Jesus after all.
Take for example Matthew 4:18-20 when Jesus calls his first disciples. Jesus didn’t approach these fishermen and simply hand them a Gospel tract. He didn’t say: Hey guys, I’m God’s Son, and then drop the mic and leave. Jesus offered these men His presence. He offered them a relationship, and it was through this unique and special years-long relationship that God did great things!
Don’t get me wrong. Jesus is the greatest gift of all and the reason for the season, but nothing could have happened without relationships. What our students need this year is not more information, but your presence. So, be available, be willing, be present. It’s what Jesus did, and it’s the best thing you can give to your youth group this Christmas.
So seriously, make a phone call, send a text, schedule a one on one and tell your leaders to do the same. If you do give a gift to your youth this Christmas, do it in person. Remember, one of the biggest ways that God shows his love to us is through his presence. It's why Jesus is Emmanuel - God with us.
If your presence isn’t enough for your giving heart, then here’s a few alternatives to those cheesy youth-group Christmas gift ideas found all over the internet…
- Extra T-Shirts From Your Ministry: Who doesn’t love a free youth-branded t-shirt?
- Music: Gift some of your favorite songs from the past year, perhaps in the form of an iTunes gift card.
- Books: On Guard For Students by William Lane Craig, Wondrous Pursuit by Jarrid Wilson, and Love Does by Bob Goff are a few favorites! (My latest book, Wake Up, is also available on the Kindle store!)
- Something Personal: Who wouldn’t love something meaningful and personal from their role model?
- Xorbee: Stay tuned for our giveaway for a chance to win one of your own!
By Scott Statson
YGC Content Contributor
& Pastor of Student Ministries at Trinity Church